Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Sin City (Film Review)

Part comic book, part comedy, part gratuitous violence, and part T&A, equals out to Sin City. I sort of see it as a Mickey Spillane detective novel reworked by Eminem. This film must of set a record for number of takes for everyone to say those hokey lines without laughing. It really was hilarious but refreshing at the same time. Take my advice and get a little buzzed before you see this film. And fellas, trust me when I say that the scenes where Jessica Alba and Brittany Murphy are wearing their cowgirl S&M outfits are visually pleasing. Robert Rodriguez is showing some real talent with this flick. It could have been just another action movie overloaded with animation. But Rodriguez makes animation a part of the story instead of a distraction. I give this film a thumbs up.

1 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your review. Funny how the stylized ultra-violence was deconstructed by the cinematography - and how though you cringe when Bruce Willis' character rips off the yellow dude's dick - you don't really see it as real - it's a demi-cartoon/movie.

I liked it - believe that the dialogue and even a lot of the shots were lifted pretty much exactly from the original Frank Miller graphic novels. I like Miller - not a huge fan since I haven't seen much of his work other than the mainstream stuff, ie. his work on Wolverine, Elektra and Daredevil mini-series for Marvel; the Dark Knight Batman series for DC; and Ronin - independent. What I've seen is great though. I see a very bright future for Frank Miller-spin-off projects.

I really liked the whole corrupt clergy+political axis angle - worked very well for me as a version of "Da Man" controlling everything. The film noir intermixed with the ultra-violence was well-done and the non-linear storyline was a typical Tarantino touch.

I thought MIckey Rourke's Marv was fucking awesome - Willis' character was okay - but very disappointed in the Clive Owen "Dwight" character. I know he's the most thoughtful and balanced character of them all - but in this character fabric - I saw his balance and normalcy as weak and boring. This is morality or amorality writ large and bold - blowing away all your ethical receptors - and Dwight is a whisper in a hurricane. Dunno if that was the way his character was written or how it was played - but the only weak point in the movie, I thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home