Thursday, April 07, 2011

Last Chance Harvey

Last Chance Harvey
I’m not young anymore and I don’t want to be young again, not mentally anyway.  That’s why I guess I liked this film.  At first I couldn’t see any chemistry between Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson.  But like in real life, sometimes chemistry isn’t instantaneous.  I guess the key word for this film is real.  It just feels real, like how a Mike Leigh film feels real.  There are pauses in the conversation, awkward silences, and corny jokes, all the things that happen when you first meet someone.  Since neither of the main characters is young anymore, there’s also the steadiness of maturity that you don’t see in the average 20-something romance flick.  It’s also good to believe that two mature and stable people can still have an adventure.  It’s not a great movie but it does the belief in adventure angle quite well.
I’d say that if your under 40, I wouldn’t recommend this film, but if you’re over 40, I think you’ll relate and enjoy this comedy for grown-ups.
.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home