Friday, March 04, 2011

Chevy Volt and Consumer Reports

Topic: Technology

In a new article written by Consumer Reports about the Chevy Volt, the Volt wasn't given a favorable rating mainly because of the cost (which I agree) and the less than 40mpg GM kept advertising.  I don't think anyone can argue the cost of the Volt ($41,000 MSRP), isn't high, especially compared to hybrid or pure electric cars.  To be fair, all new electronic technology is costly at first, remember the first digital watch or camcorder or computer?  And until recently, the cost of converting a hybrid (i.e. Prius and Escape Hybrid) into a plug-in with lithium ion batteries would be about $40K.  I expect that GM will soon offer different models of the Volt with different set-ups (gas/electric, pure electric, hybrid gas/electric) that will be more price competitive to other car companies. The other option they could offer is a model that get's only 10 miles on electric, because it has less batteries, but will cost no more than a regular Prius.  But please keep in mine: I'm not a engineer, I'm only guessing, and I probably don't know what I'm talking about. 

The interesting thing about the cost of the Volt that isn't mentioned in this or any other article I've read is that no one has yet pointed out that the $7,500 tax rebate isn't given by the dealership, but is written off on your IRS form.  In other words, your monthly payments are based on $41K and not  $33,500 ($41K minus $7.5K) and is the same for any tax rebate your state offers.  I'm surprised no writers have pointed this out yet.

The second reason Consumer Reports couldn't give the car a favorable rating was because of the 40 mpg that is being advertised.  As I mentioned in my previous blog about the Volt, 40 mpg was the maximum you could get in perfect conditions and not what the average owner would be getting. Once again to be fair, since 80% of Americans drive 20 miles or less a day,  the 25-27 miles between charges is sufficent so that owners won't use the gas engine very often.   I can only blame GM for the tax rebate and mpg misunderstanding.  They really should of explained it better instead of having everyone disappointed when they find this out.

 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home