Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Conventional Gas-Powered Cars

Topic: Cars

Good article in the Washington Post about the great mileage that newer subcompacts are making now.  I have to admit that I was seduced by electronic cars, especially the Chevy Volt.  This is particularly humorous since I think that almost all of them are pretty bland-to-just plain ugly.  The article mentions the Cruze, Focus (I think they meant the Fiesta) and the Elantra since they're very near the 50 mpg range.  I like these cars but since none are coupes, I wouldn't really consider purchasing any of them.  I actually just noticed today that outside of the Civic and the Focus, there are no more coupe compacts under $20 grand.  Are their no more men in America?

I also agree that the auto manufacturers need to improve the mileage for the autombiles Americans really prefer driving-- trucks and SUV/Crossovers.  The Ranger and Colorado only get at most 4 mpg better than full size trucks.  Why would anyone buy the small trucks when the full size ones almost get the same mileage and only cost $2-3 grand more?  Come on Detroit- use chromoly steel, direct injected engines, and strip the excess weight already.      

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home